Private Detectives are among the most observant people on the planet. They have acute powers of concentration and observation. So if you desire to become a much in demand private eye, you will first and foremost need to hone your observation skills. But most important of all is motivation. Without motivation, there is no sense of urgency in life – either for a particular case or for other things in life in general. Motivation for a rookie private detective could come in many shapes and sizes – the desire to excel and become renowned as a top private investigator, pride in one’s expertise, security from knowing that good reputation leads to steady inflow of clients and cash or even fear. Fear can be a great motivator if one takes into account the fact that the market is already full of private detective agencies and freelance private investigators of all shapes and sizes and that missing your chance to successfully complete cases and assignments could mean certain failure in your chosen line of work. Though a little fear can hugely help to create motivation within you – too much of it can paralyze you and become counterproductive.
Private Detectives Need to Have Excellent Communication Skills
Having great communication skills is important in today’s world for any field of work and that includes the world of private investigation as well. A sharp private detective will use his / her communication skills to network within the business community and touch base with people who may need his services in the future or with people whose services the private eye may need. Good communication skills also come in handy when it comes to interviewing and interrogating subjects whether for a particular case or for increasing the strength of your own team. But let us come to the most important misconception in the world regarding communication. Communication does not mean just yapping endlessly about yourself and your achievements in life but rather about having the ability to listen!
Effective Communication Commandments
- Be a nice and affable person – someone who is reliable and is deeply interested in others.
- If you want to praise be sincere – do not just shower fake compliments.
- Make a special effort to remember the names of people you deal with. Everyone loves being called by their names. It makes them feel important.
- Don’t get pulled into unnecessary arguments. Always think about the other person’s point of view.
- Learn the fine art of negotiation where both parties think that they have taken away something valuable from a deal.
- Noone knows everything. Be inquisitive and ask plenty of questions.
- Do not accuse, blame or criticize someone openly in front of others. Take that person into confidence and explain their wrongdoings but only after you are sure of the facts.
- Give people their privacy and do not intrude upon their personal or private lives
- Human beings make mistakes. Admit when you are wrong and take steps to correct them.
- Forgive others when you have been at the receiving end of perceived injustices. Bearing a grudge can cause untold harm to your psyche over the long term.
- Do not bitch about others behind their back. Be upfront about issues and confront others about what is on your mind instead of saying something that might reach them through a third party.
- Final commandment – Listen more – talk less!
Going through my above commandments you may feel that these are all points that you already know about but think of the many times in the past when you have acted otherwise despite knowing some of these truths! The point is to act upon what you know and believe in and that requires a steady does of concentration and a steadfast and dedicated approach. Whether you are a rookie private detective or not, take a print out of the above commandments and pin them above your workstation to remind you to act upon them daily and also to inspire others around you to do the same!
It’s All About Relationships
For the private investigator starting out or if you have started your own detective agency, remember that becoming successful as a private investigator is all about building solid relationships and that these relationships will help you to become more effective and maximize your potential. People who trust you will reveal a lot – information that would be in other circumstances be extremely difficult to bring out. If you have an abusive nature or are prone to be rude and ill mannered, chances are that you will not make much breakthrough in your cases and you will come across a lot of frustration in your work and career. Remember to smile a lot and treat others with dignity and respect – it will make your job a whole lot easier and confidential information will not be confidential to you anymore!
Amit Sen is the founding partner of Alliance One – which is among the best detective agencies in Mumbai that specializes in providing thorough Pre Marriage Background Check Services among other private and corporate investigation services. Amit is also a trained pilot and an aviator and likes to remain grounded on the days when he is not flying high.